Where can you get help in Perth if you are Transgender? I had to find my own way, but ways also found me. Everything listed below is from personal experience.
Are you a parent or carer and feel that you could use more help?
Follow this link to PFLAG for more info: http://www.pflagwa.org.au/
A Psychologist That Understands You.
I was lucky enough to discover Serenity On South. Based in Como, they have a number of beautiful people that you will love. I have seen both Rachel Andrews and Juliette Lovell. I could not imagine doing this without them.
Phone: (08) 9474 4401, Address 155 South Terrace, Como 6152.
Do You Know Of An Endocrinologist?
My recommendation is to get a referral to the Keogh Institute For Medical Research. Dr Nicole Opie has been particularly good for me and I would highly recommend her.
Keogh Institute For Medical Research
1st Floor. C Block.
QEII Medical Centre
Hospital Avenue. Nedlands WA 6009
Phone: 08 9346 2008
Speech Therapy For Transgender
Speech Pathologists Perth can help you find your gender voice. Follow the link below. They have years of experience in the field. Be the best you that you can be!
Osborne Park Clinic:
Ph: 9430 4199
23 Adelaide St, Fremantle WA 6160, Australia
Tuesday and Wednesday 8:30am – 5:00pm
For more voice help try the following links
- Andrea James – Must Visit.
- EVA Voice App: I have found this extremely useful to get you going.
- This article is also quite good food for thought.
Shortcut To Female Voice http://lena.kiev.ua/voice/
A painful thing for both your face/body and your purse. There are many good salons that provide excellent service. For good value, I would look at Clearskin in Shenton Park. They are rather nice! Call 08 9388 1808. Find your closest location here.
My big tip: Ask your GP or Endo about Vaniqa cream. It works quite well. Prescription only. Used for post-menopausal hair growth. Expensive but great when paired with IPL or Electrolysis. Find out more about Vaniqa.
Another excellent choice for quality Laser is www.laserskincare.com.au/. Dr Opie recommends them highly though I cannot vouch for them as have not tried them.
Surgery is an intensely personal subject that requires a lot of thought, support, and can cost you a lot of money. When you are ready to research the options there are three respected Thailand clinics that may be of particular interest. I can only comment on the ones that I have had some experience with or that friends have had good experiences at. This is just a guide, make your own decisions based on what is right for you.
The Preecha Aesthetic Institute – PAI is very popular. Having met them they are very knowledgeable, caring and helpful. Their attention to detail is notable. I know many that have used them and are very happy. Dr Burin is very talented, in you will love Bune, darlings 😉
The plus sides with PAI include being very close to the PAI clinic and also the hospital itself. They use Piyavate at this point. The hospital is a little older than some, but the care is very good. They recommend the Hotel Salil, which is very comfortable, with affordable meals and breakfast included. All these little things make for a more stress-free experience. There is also easy access for basic shopping close by, and Central Plaza Rama 9 is a great place for a more retail therapy vibe.
The Dr Saran was very kind to me and the care was very good indeed. He used the Bangkok Hospital Chinatown, which was magnificent. There is a beautiful and affordable hotel close by named Shanghai Mansions. Be warned though that post surgery, you may want a hotel closer to the clinic as the drive is not always easy. Dr Saran can be very busy, and you may also wait longer times for consultations pre and post surgery. When you do get to see Dr S he is kind, fun, and very knowledgeable. I am very proud to know him.
Dr Suporn. I know many that have had wonderful experiences there, and the quality of work is excellent. I can’t make any further comment there as I don’t know!
Support Groups & Help
Transfolk Of WA
Transfolk of WA is a non-profit community group. They aim to provide a support network and a range of resources to transfolk and their loved ones.
PFLAG stands for Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays. PFLAG Perth is a volunteer run, non-profit organisation in Western Australia, providing a support system for families and friends of people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or intersex (LGBTI), along with education and advocacy in the community.
I am proud to help raise money and awareness of PFLAG. They provide excellent support, I can vouch for that!
Helpful Transgender Resources, News, Articles…
- Susan’s Place – https://www.susans.org/
- Planet Transgender – http://planettransgender.com/
- Transsexual Roadmap – http://www.tsroadmap.com/index.html
- The Gender Centre AU – https://gendercentre.org.au/
- Pink News UK – http://www.pinknews.co.uk/home/
- Virtual FFS: The Virtual Facial Feminisation Website – http://www.virtualffs.co.uk/index.html
- Gender Dysphoria relief! – Great Buzzfeed article…
- Buzzfeed LGBT: I’m Trans, Disabled, And Tired Of Fighting To Get Into Bathrooms…
- Andrea James Youtube
- Pronouns – 8 things transgender people are sick of hearing
Read the article on She Knows here.
- Lynn Conway. This site has helped so many.
- Transgender Universe: Whose idea of femininity are we talking about?
More at Transgender Universe.
- Allure.com Beauty Beyond Binaries with Janet Mock
- Transgender Care (Endocrinology)
Worth Watching TV, Movie, Documentary, Educational
- Transgender: You’re Part of the Story | Nicole Maines | TEDxSMCC
- Becoming Nicole – Dr. Norman P. Spack, Nicole Maines and Jonas Maines
- Nicole Maines – Excellent Watch!
- Jennifer Finney Boylan: A Life in Two Genders
Author of ‘She’s Not There’.
Watch On YouTube
- Growing Up Coy
Inside one family’s fight for transgender bathroom rights.
- Transparent: Must Watch, Brilliant.
Available in AU on Stan.
- Laurence Anyways – http://laurenceanywaysthemovie.com/home/
- The Sex Changes That Made History – SBS
- Carlotta Movie
- Transamerica Movie
Worth A Read Books
- Becoming Nicole Brilliant, must read.
- If I Was Your Girl – Fictional Transgender tearjerker 😉 Nice work Meredith Russo!
- Being Jazz – The Jazz Jennings Story.
- Caitlyn Jenner – The Secrets Of My Life
- I’ll Give You Something to Cry About: A novella Kindle Edition
by Jennifer Finney Boylan (Author)
View On Amazon
- Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love & So Much More Kindle Edition
by Janet Mock (Author)
View On Amazon
- Transgender Complete Handbook – Joanne Borden
- Christine Jorgensen A Personal Biography
- Kate Bornstein A Queer & Pleasant Danger
- Caroline Cossey My Story
- She’s Not The Man I Married – Helen Boyd
- The Danish Girl
- Lili: A Portrait Of The First Sex Change.
Lile Elbe diary, the ‘real’ Danish Girl story
Interesting Articles From Around The Web